Wednesday 23 January 2019

My road to an open source project: Azure Traffic Manager extension for Azure DevOps

As I mentioned in my last few posts, I have been working in my spare time to convert the existing scripts I had for Azure Traffic Manager into an Azure DevOps extension.

I finally managed a critical point to publish the code on GitHub! I am not a massive code person, it might feel like a drop in the ocean but it is something really big for me :-) It was also a great exercise on the actual end to end process of creating a working extension, which I found extremely interesting and valuable.

The extension does four things at the moment: enable and disable an Endpoint, promote and demote a priority-based Endpoint. It is fairly simple, but again this code stems from demos, labs and community efforts I did over the last 12 months so it is not something that was used by a company in production.

It is available in Public Preview here, and I am still ironing out a few issues both on the pipeline side and the code. Still, given the lack of an official Azure Traffic Manager extension I feel it can be a decent stopgap - at least with these basic features. I will try to make it even more complete over time so it can be even better!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your effort, this is just what I was looking for.

    Frans

    ReplyDelete